Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Peace Talks.

Once when I was in high school, I was sad. Once doesn't really say a whole lot as I was sad most of the time. The point was that I walked out of a building in town to a dark winter sky and perfect snowflakes falling so I could see them in the light of the street lamp. I stood there and watched them fall for a few minutes and thought to myself, this is peace.
The perfection of the moment; the stillness; the silence. But peace never lasts does it?
As I was standing there the phone rang inside and broke it all. It broke my peace.
I was thinking about this tonight as I walked in that same atmosphere of silent, still, and dark perfection and I thought to myself, why doesn't peace last? Why does that impervious phone ring and break everything for me?
The dictionary has a lot of definitions for peace. One of the significant ones that I found, however, defined it as stillness and silence. And when we translate that to our hearts, minds and souls, it means that we need stillness and silence in our hearts, minds and souls.
But peace is so fleeting; it just doesn't seem to stay. But in all reality, it was meant to.
A relationship with Christ enables us to have continuous peace that lasts. Peace was meant to last . . . but somehow it doesn't.
I think this has to do a lot with our societal need for tension. If we're not in constant state of stress something must be wrong, as opposed to the other way around. We need to find a way to break this cycle. We need to find a way to make peace real; something that is relevant; something that doesn't consist of just a high.
I don't have any answers here. I just want to send these cosmic questions out into the void. Maybe the answers will find their way to my heart.

No comments: