Saturday, March 17, 2012

Trend.

Today in my teenage angst, I appreciate roots. On an entirely different train of thought, I really hate trendy paraphernalia. I do have a tiny little Sorting Hat that works like a magic eight ball. I am also in possession of a homemade hunger games t-shirt that I feel only a little bit weird wearing. Once the hype dies down, it will be loud and proud. Not that it's not now. Janelle and I did a small photo shoot in the library sporting our obviously awesome shirts.

When the Keep Calm and Carry On campaign started, I noticed it first on a notebook and immediately regarded it as I would regard one of those plaques that encourages you to Espresso Yourself - with contempt. While I thought the typeface was indeed attractive, I swore to never own anything of the like. I did, though, see a Harry Potter version that stated Keep Calm and Carry A Wand. I wanted it a little. Anyway, my sister sent me this video a couple days ago that shed new light on the phrase, its history and an utterly amazing bookstore in England that is now on my list of things to do before I die. Legit.

Have a look and a listen and appreciate the aims of those in government to shore up public support in the midst of trying times.




2 comments:

Liz said...

Wow. Thanks for posting that video! I would love to go to that bookstore, given the chance. What an awesome story! I never knew...

Chrissy said...

i almost, almost!, bought myself a hp t-shirt that read 'keep calm and marry ron' with a hermione silhouette. to this day it makes me laugh.

i've awarded your blog and the detail-y post is this one: http://www.mydearwatsonblog.blogspot.ca/2012/03/twice-is-nice.html