Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Biographical questions.

Today in my teenage angst, I'm  astounded by the nature of biographical publishing. At the library we all have our sections to read. This means we have to go through the shelves and make sure those books are all in order. My section is the biographies. I stand there and I do the alphabet and yes, they are all in order. But then I get distracted. Jennifer Aniston? How and why do you have a biography? George Clooney? Celine Dion? You have three!!! Oh Johnny Depp, here's a good one. You're noted as a modern rebel. Legit. That's the tag line. Johnny Depp: a modern rebel.

I fail to understand why famous people who have been around for less than the length of my life warrant a biography. Do people care that much? Do people really want to know what Jennifer Aniston's childhood was like, enough to buy a twenty-seven dollar hard cover book? I just really can't imagine it.

I saw this clip a few months ago and it really explains the follies of bibliographic publishing to its very core. Enjoy.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a person who LOVES a good biography, I'm totally with you on this one...we should get togeather and tell celebs to quit cluttering up my biography section with their stupid, boring, pointless books.