Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Library.

Today in my teenage angst, I decided that the library is a perfectly perfect thing to blog about. A week ago I was given a job as a library page. After having to give up on my last pressure and emotional filled - yet dream oriented - job after only two days, I hoped this would be a lot more my speed. That speed being extraordinarily slow and non-committal. I have worked seven shifts (each averaging around three hours) and I love it. I was informed early on that my mp3 player and cell phone were not to be present during my work time which freaked me out a bit, but no matter, one shift without and I didn't even miss them.


As you might guess, you can learn a lot the library. My job doesn't really permit me to look beyond the spines of books, so I've thus far been limited in any in-depth research oriented learning. I have however learned that the world of graphic novels - of which my entire experience rests in the OC and Atomic County - is vast and seem to be the most popular thing currently in the literary world. We have graphic novels for children, youth and adults; all equally popular. We have Disney graphic novels, Manga graphic novels, CSI graphic novels. Do you have an interest? It's been put into a graphic novel. These are particularly tedious to shelve, which is the basis of my job; this tedium makes me not their biggest fan but I can't deny their popularity and subsequent awesomeness. 


Here, for your viewing pleasure is a 3 min short of Atomic County. If you're a fan of the OC, this should make you pretty happy. If you're not, watch it anyway and know that I'm probably shelving a hundred of these in book form. 


1 comment:

Mich said...

I've ventured a little bit into the graphic novel thing. I read "the invention of hugo cabret" which is for kids I believe. It was interesting and it only took like a couple hours or so to read. But I don't know if I could ever really get into it. Although, I'm about to pick up a book I have on hold at the library - Essex County Part 1. It was nominated for the Canada Reads contest on CBC. I think its for adults - so I'll let you know how that is.