Friday, November 18, 2011

Penny (Part 2)

Today in my teenage angst we lost our only real family pet.

Remember this baby? In August, on her 18th birthday, I posted a tribute.
Penny left us today. Her dehydration and incontinence had become to much for us to justify, not to mention its getting to cold for her to sleep in the garage. So my Dad took a brave and tragic step - one he didn't want to take - and took her to be put down.
We all cried. I'm still on the brink of tears. I have a headache. As resistent as you might be to animals, you can't know another living thing for eighteen years without caring for it.
But we had her. And we loved her. And while we still love her, Nelly Furtado said it best (and first) when she said "all good things have to come to an end." There's a little levity for you.

What a day. I suppose we probably have some books in the kids section at the library on coping with the loss of a pet. I should look those up.

Penny-Jenny, I miss you already.

PS. This is my 200th post. That's not that many for those who are consistent with their blogs but whatever. 200. Go me.

No comments: