Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Laci Green.

Who knows Laci Green??? Today in my teenage angst, I feel like a part of this blog is about promoting the good things other people are doing. And I'm okay with that. Because I become privy to a lot of really great things and want other people to know about them. The more ways I can tell people, the better.

Laci Green runs an online sex education website that promotes Sex+ - Sex Positivity. It's the promotion of healthy sexual awareness as well as positive gender identity development. She's a genius. I do think that the development of sex education since the Victorian era - which if you've done any study was extremely oppressive - has left us in the state we're in. Aka, an unwillingness to approach the topic with ease, but instead with fear, euphemisms and clearing of the throats. Laci's mission is to undo that. She exposes a lot of the underpinnings of the North American view of sex, in that too much is bad, too little is bad, over-exposure is bad, hushed tones are necessary, etc, and introduces a new, positive way of understanding that beautiful thing that is sex.

Laci and I differ in a lot of areas. The greatest one I often identify, is that she's a pretty severe humanist. Her existence is owned by the human experience and she spreads that message thoroughly and effectively. So I generally take what she has to say with a grain of salt, but her encouragement to separate yourself from the patriarchal expectations of relational and sexual interactions as wells as the patriarchal definitions of beauty rings true. Beautifully so. I have a lot of passion for the positive development of sexual identity and while I don't find that to be my life's calling, I praise God for people, like Laci, who do.

The following are my most recommended Laci watches. If you want some serious, throwback to the sex-ed you probably didn't get in High School, education, there are a lot more of her videos to watch. You can also subscribe to her on Youtube, Tumblr and Facebook.





No comments: