Sunday, November 14, 2010

Day Twenty-eight - A picture of you last year and now. How have you changed since then?

This is a picture of me and my roommate last year around this time. We had to get our grad pictures done for the plaque that may or may not now be hanging up in Briercrest's academic hallway. That makes it sound like they only have one. I'm just referring to the academic administration hallway. This is also where they hang all the grad plaques. 


I feel like I've had to re-learn a lot since this picture. I spent last year being taught the importance of community. I was blessed with an amazing group of people who seemed to make it their aim to teach me (once again) how to love and be loved. Then I left it all. I left it all when I graduated and re-learned it over the summer. Then I left it all again and have had to re-learn it here. I've now been here for two and a half months and only now am I coming to appreciate where I have been placed this year (and probably a few more). 


It took me a long time to find my niche. I sank into survival mode pretty quickly upon my arrival. Searching out new places. Discovering what exactly was and wasn't necessary for my survival until I could go back home at Christmas. With that settling into survival mode came and enjoyment of the life I had built. I guess that's what our lives are - an enjoyment of (or lack of enjoyment of) our survival modes. It seems drastic to call them this, but that's what we're all aiming to do - survive. 


Recently I've discovered a community that is literally saving me. They gather on Sunday mornings and several nights throughout the week. I have entered into these gatherings and they have made it their mission to teach me the same things the people last year were teaching me. I am feeling blessed as the hand of God continues to guide me through what sometimes feels like a barren desert that happens to be on a coast line. They are filling my heart almost every day with love and encouragement and something to look forward to as they make me a part of their lives and ensure that I am provided for. 


Thank God. 


This is me only a few days ago. I got new glasses and wanted to show them off. 
Check out Zenni Optical for more information. 







3 comments:

suzy said...

i LOVE your new glasses.

Chantelle said...

Great post (and I like the glasses). :)

Unknown said...

Hello - I'm your Cousin Chris - Love your blog!! Im going to follow now and be enlightened!!