Monday, November 1, 2010

Day Nineteen - Nicknames you have and why you have them.

Nicknames are not my forte. I like them because they can give a person a sense of identity in a group where this might be hard to find. On my favorite show, Friday Night Lights, everyone on the football team has a nickname that derives either from their last name or their jersey number. I appreciate this. 


I don't do nicknames though. Unless they're my professors - but then I never say it to their face. I had a prof whose last name was De Jager and I once called him 'The Jaguar' in a chachi sounding voice. He wasn't very happy about it. I was.


My nicknames consist of 'Nanner' (from my mother - who knows why?) and 'Ham' (from my sister). 
I sometimes like to call my sister Beth, 'Beef' sometimes because this mean girl in her grade one class told her that her name would be beef in French. What an idiot. 
My use of this name bothered her to the point that she decided that if I could call her Beef, she could call me Ham. She's kept this up better than I have and extends the nickname by adding ham dishes on to the end. I've been called Ham Sandwich, Ham and Scalloped Potatoes and Ham Quiche. She's unique. 

No comments: